HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Determine Type, size, and location of registers
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses: 122 – HVAC Load Calculations and 123 – Air Distribution
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Selected registers must provide required air-flow to space with even distribution at acceptable noise levels and without excessive static pressure requirements. Register must be compatible with decor.
- Review manufacturer’s engineering specifications, job specifications and zone air-flow requirements.
- Select type of registers suitable for application (heating only, cooling only, or combination).
- Determine optimum location for registers considering:
- Whether application is heating/cooling combination or heating-or-cooling-only application.
- Correct air coverage of space to avoid hot spots, cold spots and drafts.
- Furniture placement, carpeting, draperies, etc.
- Consider décor in space and identify registers that are most compatible.
- Select size of registers based upon manufacturer’s data for noise levels and pressure drops at required air-flow.
- Consider expense of different options.
- Make selection of registers based upon information collected.