HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Determine location for exterior equipment
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
241 – Intro to Cooling Systems Troubleshooting and 106 – Building Systems
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Exterior equipment must (a) be located in clear area for operation, (b) not be exposed to excessive roof water runoff, leaf entry, etc., (c) be convenient to utilities and interior equipment, and (d) not create noise problem for occupants. Equipment location must meet code requirements.
- Review codes, job specifications and manufacturer’s specifications regarding installation.
- Proximity to structure and property line.
- Height above roof.
- Proximity to other obstructions, etc.
- Select location of equipment based upon optimum combination of the following:
- Convenience of utility connections.
- Compatibility with location available for interior equipment.
- Minimization of structural modifications.
- Availability of a clear zone around unit.
- Minimization of noise for occupants. (Note: Avoid placing unit under roof overhang, trees and shrubs, or in areas subject to excessive snow accumulation).
- Prepare sketches with appropriate notation to support site selection.