HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK : Determine location and size of exhaust air grill.
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
241 – Intro to Cooling Systems Troubleshooting and 205 – HVAC High Efficienct Ventilation
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Exhaust air grill must exhaust required amount of air from space without creating excessive over-pressure or noise. Grill must be unobstructed on both exterior and interior sides.
- Review job specifications.
- Select location of exhaust air outlet based on the following:
- Grill should be located so that it does not interfere with occupancy of space.
- Grill must not be obstructed by furniture or equipment.
- Grill must have minimum impact on decor.
- Outlet should not discharge on personnel or equipment outside.
- Size exhaust air grill.
- Determine required exhaust air-flow.
- Consult manufacturer’s data and select exhaust air grill with minimum noise and static pressure drop.
- Document information, make sketch and include weather hood, insect screen and automatic damper on the exterior if applicable.
- (Note: Avoid placement of exhaust air outlet near building or equipment air intake or locations that discharge air in personnel spaces or directly on passersby).