HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Determine problem in air-conditioning electrical system
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Malfunctions in electrical system must be identified and required repairs determined. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s maintenance instructions and wiring diagrams.
- Discuss problem with user or owner.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine if power is available and adequate to system.
- Check circuit breakers and fuses.
- Determine if power is available to components.
- Check wiring connections.
- Disconnect circuit breakers or fuses.
- Perform continuity test on components; if test is good, turn power on and proceed.
- Start system and identify non-functioning components if system can be started safely.
- Identify defective components.
- Test defective components and determine if repair or replacement is required.
- Document tests and findings.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.