HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Test equipment for ground
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Presence or absence of continuity to ground in a specified circuit must be determined. Test device must be calibrated, connected and operated according to manufacturer’s instructions. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and wiring diagrams.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Identify equipment or circuit to be tested and locate test points using wiring diagrams or visual inspection.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove access cover(s) and isolate circuit or equipment if applicable.
- Connect ground lead of megger to ground and connect other lead to equipment or circuit. (Note: When megging a winding or circuit component, connect megger as close to winding or component as possible.)
- Determine resistance to ground and record findings.(Note: Moisture or grease film at connection points may result in false readings.)
- Disconnect megger and reconnect circuit; replace access cover(s).
- Leave equipment in desired operating status. (Note: It may not be desirable to operate grounded equipment.)
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.