HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Make electrical connection
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Connector must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Connection must conform to codes and must be mechanically secure. Electrical continuity must be established. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and codes.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove access cover(s).
- Determine location where connection is to be made and wire size and type of connection required.
- Prepare connection.
a. Crimp terminal
1) Select terminal size for wire and for terminal block screw.
2) Strip insulation from wire to fit terminal.
3) Place terminal on bare wire and crimp securely with crimping tool.
4) Secure screw end of connector to terminal block.
b. Screw terminal
1) Strip insulation from wire to fit terminal.
2) Wrap bare wire clockwise under terminal screw head and tighten screw.
c. Solderless splice
1) Select correct size and type of wire nut.
2) Strip insulation from both wires and twist bare ends together.
3) Install wire nut over twisted ends and secure.
d. Solder connection
1) Select correct size solder terminal for wire.
2) Strip insulation from wire.
3) Insert bare wire into terminal and solder in place.
4) Allow joint to cool.
8. Check connection for continuity and resistance.
9. Replace access cover(s).
10. Leave system in required operating status.
11. Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
12. Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.