HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect single-phase motor
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Motor must be connected to correct power source according to manufacturer’s specifications and codes. Connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Motor must operate as specified. Motor must have code-approved ground. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and codes.
- Determine required voltage, motor current and motor speed from manufacturer’s nameplate.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine if power supply is correct voltage and if wire sizes are correct. (NOTE: Ensure that electrical power is disconnected from wiring to be handled.)
- Check motor windings for opens and shorts.
- Connect wiring according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install and test code-specified equipment ground.
- Test run motor.
a. Check motor speed.
b. Check direction of rotation.
c. Check amperage.
d. Compare to specifications.
10. If motor does not operate according to specifications, check motor nameplate data, verify that voltage supply is correct, check motor windings for faults and make necessary repairs.
11. Leave equipment in required operating status.
12. Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
13. Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.