HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect electric duct heater
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Electric duct heater must be connected according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Equipment must have code-approved ground. Equipment and all safety devices must operate according to manufacturer’s specifications and codes. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Determine voltage and amperage requirements from manufacturer’s data.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Verify that mechanical installation of heater is correct.
- Verify that wiring from service panel is correct size and that correct voltage is available.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Connect wiring to heater power/control unit and from power control unit to element according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install and test equipment ground.
- Turn on power, place equipment in operation and verify that
a. Voltage is correct.
b. Amperage meets specifications.
c. Unit responds to control systems.
d. All temperature control and safety devices operate correctly.
e. Heater will not operate without correct air flow in duct.
11. If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
12. Make final inspection of work.
13. Leave equipment in required operating status.
14. Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
15. Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.