HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install transformer
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Transformer must be located and installed according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Transformer must be securely mounted in approved enclosure. Wiring must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Primary must be connected to correct voltage supply and secondary voltage must be within specifications. Transformer must be rated for connected load. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Determine type, voltage and power rating of transformer required.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine if available voltage supply to transformer and wire size meet specifications.
- Determine if wire size for secondary connections is correct for current load.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Mount and secure transformer according to specifications and codes.
- Connect power supply to primary terminals and make secondary connections.
- Turn on power and measure voltages and current, and primary and secondary.
- If primary voltage is not to specifications, troubleshoot electric power supply. If secondary voltage is not to specifications, ensure that specified transformer was installed, check transformer for faults and/or check connected devices for overloading.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.