HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install heat/smoke detector
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Heat/smoke detector must be located and installed according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Detector must be securely mounted, wiring connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Correct voltage must be supplied to detector and detector must function to activate fire alarm or protection system as designed. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Determine required location, type of detector, mounting details and electrical requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Locate detector and install wiring from power supply with correct voltage.
- Run signal wire from detector to fire system panel.
- Prepare mount for detector. (Note: Mounting in duct or equipment requires access door).
- Install and connect detector according to manufacturer’s specifications and codes.
- Turn on power and verify that correct voltage is being supplied.
- Test device with heat source and/or smoke and verify correct operation. (Note: If applicable, verify that fire system responds).
- Make final inspection of work.
- Request inspection of completed work.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.