HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install hard-start kit on hermetic compressor
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Hard-start kit must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Components must be securely mounted on compressor, wiring must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Hard-start kit must provide extra starting torque for compressor motor as required. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type and electrical requirements of hard-start kit required for compressor.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Verify that hard-start kit is suitable for application.
- Mount relay and capacitor and connect wiring according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Start system, monitor operation and verify that compressor starts and performs correctly.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.