HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install magnetic coil in motor starter
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Magnetic coil must be installed in motor starter according to manufacturer’s specifications. Coil must be specified type, wattage and voltage rating for starter. Wiring must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Coil must close and hold starter contacts. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type, wattage and voltage required.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove defective coil.
- Verify that new coil is suitable replacement.
- Install new coil in starter and connect wiring according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Turn on power and verify that correct voltage is available to coil.
- Start unit and verify that starter operates correctly.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.