HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Install pilot safety switch
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Pilot safety switch must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Switch must be securely mounted and positioned as specified relative to pilot flame. Electrical connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Switch must shut off fuel flow to furnace in event of pilot flame failure. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of safety switch and voltage required.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Shut off fuel supply to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Remove old switch.
- Verify that new switch is suitable replacement.
- Mount and position switch and make electrical connections according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Reconnect power and determine that voltage is correct.
- Turn on fuel supply, check for leaks, light pilot and test switch operation.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.