HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Install direct-spark igniter system
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Direct spark-igniter system must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Igniter must be securely mounted and correctly positioned on burner. Spark gap must be adjusted according to specifications. DEI module must be located and mounted according to specifications, electrical connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Igniter wire must be routed according to manufacturer’s specifications. System must light main burner upon command from furnace control system. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of igniter system and voltage required.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Shut off fuel supply to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Remove old igniter sensor assembly and module.
- Verify that new igniter is suitable replacement.
- Mount new igniter sensor assembly and adjust spark gap according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Mount module and make electrical connections to control system and igniter sensor assembly according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Reconnect power, determine that specified voltage is available to module and test operation of the igniter system.
- Turn on gas, fire furnace and verify that ignition occurs according to specifications.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.