HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Troubleshoot spark-ignition control system
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Spark-ignition control system must be analyzed according to manufacturer’s troubleshooting guide. Problems must be identified and repair requirements must be documented. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine acceptable specifications for fuel and power supply.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Verify that electrical power and fuel supply are available to equipment.
- Follow recommended procedures for diagnosing problems.
- Identify interlocking components, safety controls, etc. that may prevent operation of ignition circuit.
- Verify that gas supply will provide adequate flow and pressure.
- Shut off gas and let furnace cool.
- Determine power status required for testing.
- Verify that specified voltage is available to furnace.
- Check safety switch, door switch and other interlocks to verify satisfactory performance.
- After eliminating possibilities of external malfunctioning, analyze ignition system according to manufacturer’s troubleshooting guide or other recognized publication.
- Document findings and list necessary repairs.
- Place equipment in safe condition.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.