HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace starting or run capacitor
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Starting or run capacitor must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Capacitor must provide required motor starting and/or running characteristics. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of capacitor and rating required.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Locate capacitor to be replaced.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove safety guard(s) and access cover(s).
- Discharge and remove old capacitor.
- Verify that new capacitor is a suitable replacement.
- Mount and connect new capacitor according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test motor operation and determine if capacitor is providing required performance.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Stop equipment and replace safety guard(s) and access cover(s).
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.