HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Install positive temperature coefficient (PTC) start device on a PSC motor
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Positive temperature coefficient (PTC) start device must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Start device (PTC) must provide required motor starting characteristics. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine if PTC device is rated for application. (Note: PTC device must not be installed on compressor with off-cycle crankcase heater.)
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Locate motor on which device is to be installed.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove safety guard(s) and access cover(s).
- Verify that PTC device is a suitable.
- Connect PTC device in parallel with motor run capacitor according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Secure PTC device to motor.
- Test motor operation and determine if PTC device provides required performance.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Stop equipment and reinstall safety guard(s) and access cover(s).
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.