HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace motor overload protector
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Motor overload protector must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Motor overload protector must be specified type (thermal or magnetic) and must be compatible with motor electrical requirements. Motor overload protectors must operate as specified and must prevent continued overload conditions. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of overload protector and electrical requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Locate overload protector to be replaced.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove access cover(s).
- Remove old overload protector.
- Verify that new overload protector is a suitable replacement.
- Mount and connect new overload protector according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test motor operation and determine if overload protector is performing satisfactorily.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Stop equipment and replace access cover(s).
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.