HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace electric heater element
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Heater element must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Heater element must be secured in housing, electrical connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Element must perform according to manufacturer’s specifications. All safety and protective devices must function correctly. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of coil and voltage and wattage required.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Locate defective coil.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove access cover(s).
- Disconnect old coil from power and control unit, and remove from housing.
- Verify that new coil is suitable replacement.
- Secure new coil in housing and connect to power and control unit.
- Test element operation
- Establish air flow across element.
- Activate heating system.
- Verify that all coils in element respond to control system.
- Verify that over-temperature safety control functions as specified.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Replace access cover(s). (Note: Disconnect power if required for safety reasons).
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.