HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Install crankcase heater
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Crankcase heater must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Heater must have correct voltage rating for application and heater wattage must match compressor manufacturer’s requirements. Electrical connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and compressor manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine heater wattage, voltage and mounting requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove access cover(s).
- Locate compressor and check nameplate data.
- Verify that new crankcase heater is suitable for application.
- Install heater on compressor and make electrical connections according to heater manufacturer’s instructions.
- Start equipment and check heater operation.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Replace access cover(s).
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.