HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Measure temperature in air conditioning system
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Temperature must be measured at designated locations (supply duct, return duct, evaporator coil, plenum and register) in the system using temperature-measuring instruments specified for the type and range of application. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Determine temperature measurements required, purpose of measurement, accuracy required, location where measurement should be made and expected temperature.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Select temperature-measuring device for desired application.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Take temperature measurement according to manufacturer’s instructions or standard practice.
- Prepare opening for insertion of measuring element.
- Calibrate instruments according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Insert instrument and take reading.
- Record measurement.
- Reseal opening.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.