HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Adjust pilot igniter
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Pilot igniter must be adjusted according to manufacturer’s specifications. Igniter must establish electrical arc across spark gap that will ignite pilot burner, which in turn will ignite main burner. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine procedures for adjusting pilot igniter and required settings.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Turn off gas to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Set gap according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Verify that pilot burner is correctly positioned.
- Turn on gas to pilot burner only.
- Energize ignition circuit and check ignition of pilot burner.
- Adjust pilot flame.
- De-energize spark circuit and extinguish flame.
- Turn on gas to furnace and fire furnace.
- Verify ignition of main burner according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.