HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Test for gas leaks
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
All gas leaks must be located using an approved test method. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Identify section of line to be tested.
- Select test procedure: gas or air pressurization.
- Standing pressure test in combination with soap solution test and gas meter reading.
- Perform test using procedure selected in Step 4.
- Gas pressurization: Shut gas off at furnace & open gas supply valve at main.
- Record gas meter reading.
- Apply soap solution to joint and check for bubbles.
- Repair leaks and repeat procedure until all leaks are repaired.
- Note meter reading when all leaks have been repaired and allow system to stand overnight with gas off at furnace, with main supply open.
- Re-check meter reading and determine if gas flow is indicated.
- Use high-pressure test to find leaks if gas flow is indicated.
- Perform test using procedure selected in preceding step:
- Air pressurization: Isolate gas line from both furnace and supply ends.
- Connect hand-pressurization pump to system.
- Pump to elevated pressure, apply soap solution and locate leaks.
- Repair leaks.
- Re-pressurize line to approximately 10 psi and valve off pump.
- Check line in 10 minutes and determine that pressure has not been lost.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.