HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Cut Metal with Portable Metal Saw
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Metal must be cut to specified length with correct angle of cut. Edges of cut must be deburred. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine required size and length of metal.
- Select desired type of metal saw (reciprocating or band) and blade.
- Measure metal and mark dimensions using a straightedge, square and/or compass; scribe desired cut line.
- Clamp metal firmly in bench vise or other clamping tool.
- Cut metal using even pressure on saw sufficient to keep a steady cut without deforming the blade.
- De-burr rough edges of cut metal before handling. (Note: Allow metal to cool before handling).
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.