HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Cut Carbon Steel with Oxyacetylene Torch.
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
441 – Commercial Refrigeration l and 291 – HVAC Commercial Water Heating
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Metal must be cut to specified size and shape. Rough edges must be dressed after cutting. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Measure and mark steel to desired dimensions using a straightedge, square and/or compass, etc.; scribe desired cut line.
- Select and install cutting tip on torch.
- Open tank valves and adjust regulators.
- Light torch and adjust flame.
- Apply heat to metal until it is red hot.
- Press cutting tip oxygen lever and move tip smoothly and evenly along cut line. (Note: Maintain even space between tip and metal).
- Allow metal to cool; remove slag and rough edges with file or grinder.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.