HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Cut Carbon Steel with Oxyacetylene Torch.
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Metal must be cut to specified size and shape. Rough edges must be dressed after cutting. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Measure and mark steel to desired dimensions using a straightedge, square and/or compass, etc.; scribe desired cut line.
- Select and install cutting tip on torch.
- Open tank valves and adjust regulators.
- Light torch and adjust flame.
- Apply heat to metal until it is red hot.
- Press cutting tip oxygen lever and move tip smoothly and evenly along cut line. (Note: Maintain even space between tip and metal).
- Allow metal to cool; remove slag and rough edges with file or grinder.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.