HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Weld Carbon Steel with Oxyacetylene Torch and Filler Rod
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Steel must be joined with continuous weld without excess spatter, excess filler or undercut. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Determine welding requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Clean area to be welded with wire brush.
- Clamp parts with correct gap for welding.
- Select welding tip and attach to torch.
- Light torch and adjust flame.
- Preheat seam and filler rod.
- Dip rod in flux.
- Heat seam and apply filler rod when metal is heated to melting point.
- Work flame in a circular motion while applying rod until joint is complete.
- Allow metal to cool, and chip off excess flux; clean joint with wire brush.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.