HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace fan motor
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Fan motor must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Motor must be securely mounted and fan blade or sheave must be correctly installed according to specifications. Equipment must be aligned and must operate without vibration. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine motor horsepower, voltage, speed, frame size, direction of rotation, shaft size and mounting requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power to equipment.
- Remove all safety guard(s).
- Remove drive belt and sheave or fan blade from motor shaft.
- Disconnect and remove existing motor.
- Verify that replacement motor is suitable replacement.
- Inspect motor mounts and replace if required.
- Mount new motor and connect electrical wiring according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install fan blade on motor shaft or install drive sheave and belt.
- Align sheaves and set belt tension.
- Reconnect electrical power.
- Start motor and check operation:
- Check motor current.
- Check speed.
- Verify that direction of rotation is correct.
- If equipment is not performing correctly, troubleshoot and determine problem.
- Stop fan and replace all safety guard(s).
- Leave system in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.