HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace gas burner
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Gas burner must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Burner must be correct size and type for furnace. Furnace must perform at rated capacity. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of gas being used, gas pressure, type of burner and burner rating.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Turn off gas and let furnace cool.
- Remove old burner.
- Verify that new burner is suitable replacement.
- Replace gas orifice for burner if required.
- Install new burner according to specifications.
- Realign pilot assembly as required.
- Turn on gas, reconnect power and light and adjust pilot.
- Fire furnace.
- Adjust primary and secondary air, check furnace performance and determine if furnace is over-firing or under-firing.
- If furnace is over-firing or under-firing, recheck specifications, determine corrections that are needed and make necessary adjustments.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.