HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Drill Metal with Portable Electric Drill
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Metal must be drilled at specified location to required size. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Determine where holes are to be drilled.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Clamp metal in bench vise or other clamping device.
- Locate center of hole on metal.
- Center-punch selected location.
- Select drill bit of correct size and install in drill. (Note: If hole is large, it may be appropriate to drill a smaller pilot hole first).
- Drill metal and add cutting oil as necessary to prevent overheating of bit and to improve cut. (Note: As bit is exiting opposite side of metal, reduce pressure to prevent bit lockup and drill kick).
- De-burr edges of hole.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.