HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace gas heat exchanger
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Heat exchanger must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications. Heat exchanger must be correct size and type for furnace. Furnace must perform at rated capacity. There must be no leakage of combustion gasses into hot-air side. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine size and type of heat exchanger required and replacement procedure.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Turn off gas and let furnace cool.
- Disassemble furnace and remove heat exchanger following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Verify that new heat exchanger is suitable replacement.
- Install new heat exchanger and reassemble furnace according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Turn on power and gas, fire furnace and check performance; make necessary adjustments to bring performance to specifications.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.