HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace gas safety valve
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Valve must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications and codes. Valve installation must not leak, electrical connections must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Valve must be normally closed type that is powered open by furnace safety control. Valve must interrupt gas flow to equipment as dictated by furnace safety controls. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications and codes.
- Determine valve type and electrical requirements:
- Millivolt-powered equipment.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Ventilate work area.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Turn off gas to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Disconnect wiring and remove old valve.
- Verify that new valve is suitable replacement.
- Install new valve and make electrical connections.
- Test valve for leaks and correct operation according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave system in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.