HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace gas valve
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Gas valve must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications and codes. Replacement valve must be specified type and size for application. Furnace must operate at rated capacity and must respond to control system and safety devices as specified. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications and codes.
- Determine type of gas being used, size of valve, type of main valve, combination features required and electrical requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Turn off gas to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Disconnect wiring and remove old valve.
- Verify that new valve is suitable replacement.
- Install new valve and make electrical connections.
- Reconnect power and turn on gas.
- Fire furnace, test operation of valve and make necessary adjustments. (Note: Verify that all safety features operate as specified).
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.