HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace pilot burner
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Pilot burner must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Burner must be correctly positioned. Burner must ignite main burner and pilot ignition devices, and pilot safety devices must function according to manufacturer’s specifications. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine type of pilot burner, type of pilot safety device used and procedure for replacing pilot burner.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Turn off gas to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Disassemble furnace according to manufacturer’s specifications and remove pilot burner.
- Verify that new burner is a suitable replacement.
- Install new pilot burner and adjust position according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Make necessary adjustments to pilot igniter, glow-coil assembly and pilot safety device according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Reconnect power and turn on gas.
- Light pilot and adjust to provide manufacturer’s specified flame characteristics.
- Test pilot igniter system as specified.
- Test pilot to main burner ignition.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave system in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.