HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace oil burner motor
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Burner motor must be replaced according to manufacturer’s specifications. Burner motor must be securely mounted and motor shaft must engage blower wheel and oil-pump coupling according to specifications. Wiring must be mechanically secure and electrical continuity must be established. Burner must operate according to specifications. Applicable safety procedures must be followed
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine motor mounting, voltage, speed and horsepower requirements.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power.
- Shut off fuel supply to equipment.
- Disconnect electrical wiring and remove motor and fan-blower wheel assembly from burner.
- Verify that new motor is suitable replacement.
- Remove fan wheel from old motor and install new one.
- Mount new motor and fan-wheel assembly and secure to burner.
- Ensure that motor shaft engages oil-pump coupling.
- Connect electrical wiring according to specifications.
- Test furnace operation.
- If furnace does not operate as specified, check motor rotation and speed. Follow manufacturer’s troubleshooting instructions and determine problem.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.