HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
Replace ignition electrodes
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Electrodes must be installed and adjusted according to manufacturer’s specifications. Electrodes must provide burner ignition according to specifications. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order and manufacturer’s specifications.
- Determine electrode size, porcelain size and type of high-voltage connection.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Disconnect electrical power. (Note: Caution. Igniter circuit may reach 10,000 volts. Exercise caution in performing all work).
- Turn off fuel to furnace and let furnace cool.
- Disconnect oil line from nozzle tube.
- Remove nozzle tube and electrode assembly.
- Remove electrodes according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install new electrodes and adjust position and spark gap according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Reinstall nozzle tube and electrode assembly.
- Reconnect oil line to nozzle tube.
- Reconnect power, turn on oil supply and check operation of burner.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.