HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install duct-mounted air cleaner: filter media and electronic
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Air cleaner must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications. Equipment must filter air to specific purity. Filter pressure drop must be within static-pressure capability of air-moving equipment. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine element size and mounting requirements for air cleaner.
- Determine dimensions of:
- Element housing.
- Return duct.
- Inlet and outlet transition pieces to adapt element housing to duct.
- Modify existing duct for air-cleaner installation.
- Install inlet transition on duct.
- Install element housing on transition.
- Install outlet transition between element housing and duct.
- Install additional hangers and supports for element housing as specified.
- Make electrical connection for electronic filter.
- Install power supply according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Connect power supply to filter element.
- Install sail switch or other control device as specified by manufacturer.
- Connect electrical power to power supply.
- Connect control device. (Note: Filter media requires no power).
- Start air-handling system.
- Measure pressure drop across filter element.
- Measure total airflow in system and compare to specified total airflow.
- Adjust fan speed to correct airflow. (Note: If existing fan is inadequate to produce sufficient static pressure to restore specified airflow, install larger fan motor, larger fan or duct booster fan).
- For electronic air cleaner, turn on circuit breaker supplying power to cleaner.
- Ensure that airflow switch or control device activates unit.
- Ensure that supply and control operate correctly.
- Operate air-handling equipment and verify that electrical element energizes with airflow and de-energizes when airflow stops. (Note: This step applies to electronic unit only).
- Place system in operation.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Make final inspection of work.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.