HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install electric heating coil in existing system.
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Electric heating coil must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Unit must provide specified heating capacity and must adhere to all applicable code safety requirements. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine size and mounting requirements for heating unit.
- Prepare duct or plenum for heater installation and determine dimensions of:
- Element housing.
- Duct or plenum.
- Inlet and outlet air-transition pieces.
- Remove section of duct or plenum to accommodate components.
- Install element housing and transitions as required.
- Supply additional hangers or supports recommended in manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install heater element.
- Install heater control panel.
- Make electrical connections to power terminals.
- Connect low voltage controls to control terminal.
- Check factory wiring connections.
- Start air-handling unit.
- Energize heater.
- Measure airflow in duct.
- Measure temperature rise across heater and compare with specifications.
- Verify correct heater response to low voltage control signals.
- Verify that heater will not operate without airflow in system.
- Test high temperature limit switches for correct operation.
- Reset unit.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Install access cover(s).
- Install insulation as required.
- Make final inspection of work.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.