HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install gas furnace.
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Gas furnace must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Gas furnace must perform quietly and to specifications, and all safety devices must function correctly. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine type of furnace, mounting position and mounting requirements. (Note: Combustion air must be adequate for BTU rating for furnace and must be taken from zone isolated from heating air system. Combustion air must not be taken from return duct or free return area).
- Determine furnace capacity, type of gas and gas pressure flow requirements. (Note: All gas utility regulations must be followed).
- Prepare mounting for furnace.
- Install vibration isolator if applicable.
- Position and secure furnace according to specifications.
- Make duct connections using flexible connectors.
- Install gas piping.
- Install required shut-off and safety valves and pressure regulator.
- Make gas connection to furnace gas valve.
- Install furnace vent, vent damper and vent cap.
- Make electrical connections.
- Connect low voltage controls.
- Turn on electrical power and test operation of electrical components.
- Check operation:
- Control system.
- Safety devices.
- Turn on gas and check for leaks.
- Place system in operation.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Make final inspection of work.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.