HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install water pump
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Water pump must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and building codes. Pump must operate quietly with minimum vibration and must deliver required water flow at required pressure without leakage. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review job order, manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine type and capacity of pump:
- In-line mounted pump.
- Floor-mounted pump.
- Flow and head requirements.
- Motor horsepower and voltage.
- Determine requirements for accessory equipment (strainer, check valve, flow switch, pressure gage, temperature indicator and electrical heat tape).
- Install foundation or base if required.
- Install anchor bolts if required.
- Install equipment:
- In-line pump. Install pump in designated location in pipeline using necessary fittings and flange or union connections.
- Floor mounted:
- Position pump over anchor bolts and level the equipment.
- Secure and grout pump according to specifications.
- Install piping with required accessory equipment.
- Connect piping to pump with necessary fittings using flanged or union connections. (Note: Piping must not transmit excessive strain to pump casing. If pipe-to-pump alignment is a problem, use flexible connectors).
- Install electrical heat tape if needed.
- Make electrical connections.
- Prime pump and check system for leaks.
- Start equipment and check installation:
- Check pump discharge pressure.
- Check for excessive vibration.
- Check motor current.
- Inspect shaft seal for leaks.
- Install insulation if needed.
- If equipment does not operate to specifications, troubleshoot and make required adjustments and repairs.
- Make final inspection of work.
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.