HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Prepare openings for registers, grills and duct penetration
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
103 – Basic Sheet Metal and 205 – HVACR High Efficiency Ventilation
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Openings must be sized correctly to manufacturer’s specifications for registers and grills. Finished installation must be neat with no exposed edges outside grill flange. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine opening locations from job specifications.
- Determine register size and required clearances from manufacturer’s specifications.
- Locate and mark center of openings.
- Lay out required dimensions around center mark.
- Cut opening through structure surface.
- Remove any framing members that would obstruct duct and connection and install bracing as applicable.
- Install framing in opening if necessary.
- Install flashing around outside opening in exterior surface.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.