HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install heat-actuated (fire) damper
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Heat-actuated (fire) damper must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Damper must be UL approved. Installation must be secure and must function as specified in codes. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine size, location and orientation of unit.
- Determine direction of airflow through unit.
- Verify from manufacturer’s specifications that equipment complies with desired application.
- Determine mounting requirements.
- Prepare duct for installation and add additional hangers and supports as required.
- Install access door in duct on inlet side of damper according to codes and specifications.
- Position damper in duct with fusible link or heat-actuated device toward air supply unit.
- Secure damper according to specifications.
- Test trip damper to ensure correct operation.
- If damper malfunctions, follow manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Reset damper following test and engage heat-actuated device.
- Replace insulation. (Note: Insulation must not cover access door).
- Leave equipment in required operating status.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.