HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install barometric (draft regulator) damper
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Barometric damper must be installed according to furnace manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications. Damper must regulate furnace draft according to specifications. Applicable safety procedures must be followed. (Note: Barometric damper must be installed on oil, wood or coal-fired furnace only).
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Determine size of flue pipe and location for draft regulator.
- Prepare flue pipe according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Install draft regulator according to manufacturer’s specifications with pivot shaft horizontal.
- Operate damper manually and verify that blade swings freely without binding.
- Fire furnace and adjust draft.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean.