HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install rigid-board duct insulation
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
123 – Air Distribution and 205 – HVACR High Efficiency Ventilation
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Rigid-board duct insulation must be installed according to manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications. Insulation must be installed securely and all seams must be sealed. Applicable safety procedures must be followed. (Note: Damper regulators, flexible connectors, fire-damper access doors, etc. must not be covered with insulation).
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Measure duct to be insulated.
- Cut insulation board to size with manufacturer’s recommended overlap allowance.
- Install stick clips or adhesive strips where required on large duct.
- Place insulation board, make overlaps, and staple and seal according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials and leave work site clean