HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Install pipe using cemented joint
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Joint must be prepared and made according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Joint must not leak when cured. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Identify type of plastic pipe to install and select solvent cement and primer.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Measure and mark pipe to correct length.
- Clamp pipe and cut square using hacksaw or plastic pipe cutter. Remove all burrs inside and out.
- Prepare surface of pipe and fitting as specified by cement manufacturer.
- Place fitting on pipe, adjust to correct orientation and match marked fitting and pipe; remove fitting.
- Apply solvent primer and/or solvent cement according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Slip fitting on pipe about ¼ turn away from match mark and rotate immediately to match mark.
- Allow joint to cure according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test joint for leaks.
- If joint leaks, remove and remake using all new materials following Steps 5 through 11.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.