HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect tubing using compression fitting
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Tubing connection must be made according to manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes. Tubing must be cut square, interior must be deburred, tubing must be bottomed in the connection and joint must be tight with no leaks. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications, job specifications and codes.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Mark tubing to correct length and cut with tube cutter.
- Ream cutter burrs from inside of tube.
- Slip compression nut and ferrule over tube. (Note: Ferrule may be one or two pieces).
- Insert tubing into fitting socket and hold in place against bottom.
- Slip nut and ferrule to fitting and hand tighten.
- Tighten nut with wrench according to manufacturer’s turn-of-the-nut specifications or use manufacturer’s pull-up gage.
- Test joint for leaks.
- If joint leaks, tighten fitting a little more if recommended by fitting manufacturer’s specifications. If not, or if joint continues to leak, replace joint, repeating Steps 4 through 11 until joint does not leak.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.