HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect tubing using flare fitting.
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Tubing must be cut square and interior must be deburred. Flare must be uniform and centered on tube and must be free from cracks and score marks. Joint must be tight with no leaks. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Mark tubing and cut to length with tubing cutter.
- Ream cutter burr from inside of tube.
- Slip flare nut over tubing.
- Make flare:
a. Single flare:
1) Clamp tubing in specified hole in flaring block and adjust end about 1/3 of flare height above block.
2) Place drop of oil on flaring cone, center cone over tubing and turn screw down firmly until flare is completed.
3) Remove tubing from block.
b. Double flare:
1) Clamp tube in specified hole in flaring block and adjust end about 2/3 of flare height above block.
2) Place drop of oil on flaring cone and insert female flare cone adapter (belling tool) to end of tube.
3) Place drop of oil on flare cone, center over adapter and turn screw down firmly until adapter contacts flaring block.
4) Retract flaring cone and remove adapter.
5) Center flaring cone over tube and screw down firmly until flare is complete.
6) Remove tubing.
8. Slip flare nut over flare, engage flare on male threads of fitting, tighten firmly by hand and complete tightening with flare-nut wrench.
9. Test joints for leaks.
10. If joint leaks, retighten flare nut. If joint continues to leak, make new flare and retest, following steps 7 through
11. Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
12. Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.