HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect tubing and fitting using soft-solder joint.
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Tubing must be cut square and must be fully deburred. Joint must not leak. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Select desired tubing and fitting.
- Cut tubing to length and remove burrs.
- Clean tubing and fitting for soldering.
- Apply flux to male part and place fitting on tubing.
- Light and adjust torch.
- Apply heat to tube and fitting, keeping torch moving to spread heat evenly until flux bubbles. (Note: Do not melt metal).
- Keep flame on fitting and apply solder to fill joint.
- Remove heat and wipe joint with cloth while still hot.
- Allow joint to cool and test for leaks.
- If joint leaks, reheat, separate parts and remake and retest joint, following Steps 6 through 13.
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.