HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect tubing using a swaged, brazed joint.
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Tubing must be cut square and deburred. Swage must be prepared to specified diameter and depth. Joint must not leak. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Select tubing.
- Swage tube:
- Cut tubing to specified length and remove all burrs.
- Clamp tube in swaging anvil with 1-1/8 tube diameters extended.
- Insert swaging tool (punch, lever or screw type) and expand tube to specified diameter and length.
- Remove tubing.
- Clean tubing and swage.
- Apply flux to male part and assemble joint.
- Purge air from assembly using nitrogen with regulator.
- Light and adjust torch.
- Apply heat to tubing first and then to swage, moving torch back and forth to spread heat.
- Heat joint to correct temperature for filler used and apply filler to fill joint.
- Allow joint to cool and wash with soap and water.
- Test for leaks.
- If joint leaks, reheat and resolder. (Note: If leak cannot be repaired by resoldering, cut out entire joint and remake using new tubing).
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.