HVAC Procedure and Performance Guide
TASK: Connect tubing using a swaged, brazed joint.
Training for this procedure can be found in these courses:
STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
Tubing must be cut square and deburred. Swage must be prepared to specified diameter and depth. Joint must not leak. Applicable safety procedures must be followed.
- Review manufacturer’s specifications and job specifications.
- Collect tools, equipment and materials.
- Put on safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Select tubing.
- Swage tube:
- Cut tubing to specified length and remove all burrs.
- Clamp tube in swaging anvil with 1-1/8 tube diameters extended.
- Insert swaging tool (punch, lever or screw type) and expand tube to specified diameter and length.
- Remove tubing.
- Clean tubing and swage.
- Apply flux to male part and assemble joint.
- Purge air from assembly using nitrogen with regulator.
- Light and adjust torch.
- Apply heat to tubing first and then to swage, moving torch back and forth to spread heat.
- Heat joint to correct temperature for filler used and apply filler to fill joint.
- Allow joint to cool and wash with soap and water.
- Test for leaks.
- If joint leaks, reheat and resolder. (Note: If leak cannot be repaired by resoldering, cut out entire joint and remake using new tubing).
- Remove safety and protective equipment and apparel.
- Gather tools, equipment and leftover materials, and leave work site clean.